Update VA Powershell

Guys. 

I am trying to update a VA with the value from a CSV file. 

Attribute1 is a DirectoryString VA. I have similar code that's works fine if the attribute is a BOOLEAN but trying to set this on a DirectoryString fails. 

#Set Runtime Parameters
$CSVImport = "C:\CSVFILE.csv"

Connect-QADService -Service "ARS-SERVER-Name" -Proxy
Import-Csv $CSVImport | ForEach-Object {
Set-QADUser -IncludedProperties 'Attribute1' -Identity $_.UserName -ObjectAttributes @{"Attribute1"=" $_.Url"}
}

Parents
  • 1. You don't need the '-IncludedProperties 'Attribute1' '.  This is only needed on "Get"

2. For the Identity, I have gotten into the habit of explicitly casting to string - not strictly necessary coming from a file, but it just saves me headaches in general.

-Identity [string]$_.UserName

3.  Though probably functionally the same as what you are doing I would handle your URL property like this:

-ObjectAttributes @{"Attribute1"=$([string]$_.Url)}

Re 2 and 3, it's a bit of a belt and suspenders / braces approach but that's how I roll.

• Hi. 

Thanks. You learn something new every day. I have changed the code to below based on your suggestions. 

#Set Runtime Parameters

$CSVImport = "C:\CSVFILE.csv"

Connect-QADService -Service "ARS-SERVER-NAMEt" -Proxy
    Set-QADUser -Identity [string]$_.UserName -ObjectAttributes @{"Attribute1"=$([string]$_.Url)}
    }

The error message is 

DefaultNamingContext Type
    -------------------- ----
    CN=Active Directory ARS
    Set-QADUser :
    At line:6 char:5
    + Set-QADUser -Identity [string]$_.UserName -ObjectAttributes @{"Att ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-QADUser], COMException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException,ActiveRoles.ManagementShell.Powershell.Cmdlets.SetUserCmdlet

• That's a weird error.

What format is the username?  SamAccountName?  DistinguishedName?  Userprincipalname?

• So for this script i am having to use UPN 

• $CSVImport = "C:\CSVFILE.csv"

Connect-QADService -Service "ARS-SERVER-NAMEt" -Proxy

$CurrentUser = [string]$_.UserName
    $AttributeContents = [string]$_.Url

$TargetUser = Get-QADUser -LdapFilter "(userprincipalname=$CurrentUser)" | select -expandproperty DN

Set-QADUser -Identity $TargetUser -ObjectAttributes @{"Attribute1"=$AttributeContents}
    }

Reply Children