Prompt tech for value after after workflow initiates

We are trying to figure out a way to prompt a tech for a parameter value after a change workflow kicks off.   Ideally what we would like to happen is a tech adds an end user to an AD group.  When that happens they are then prompted for a PC name for that user.  They put the PC name in and that value is passed back to the workflow and then the workflow adds that PC to another group once an approval is done.   

Possible?

Parents
  • Here's a few ideas...

Create a change workflow to add Approval to the initial group member add (which I think you want anyway).  As part of that process, the user is prompted for a "reason" for the request.  Have the operator type the computer name in for the reason.

Then, once the approval is completed, pickup (via Powershell) the computer name from the "reason".  (The reason should be available as the contents of a Control "OperationReason" in the approved-group-membership-add $Request object - i.e. $Request.GetInControl("OperationReason")).

'Hope this makes sense.

Another (simpler?) approach would be to create in the Web UI, an Object Property setting command (and associated new Form) where you would display virtual attributes for the Group Name (DN Syntax so you get an object picker for selecting the group) and a string for the computer name.  The Computer name would only get used if the group membership add is approved.  Instead of having to acquire the computer name from the OperationReason, in this case you have ready access to it in the virtual attribute.

A third variation would be similar to what I suggested above but instead of creating a new command and form, just add the virtual attributes to the General user properties in the Web UI and then use a change workflow to respond to them being set.

• Here's a few ideas...

Create a change workflow to add Approval to the initial group member add (which I think you want anyway).  As part of that process, the user is prompted for a "reason" for the request.  Have the operator type the computer name in for the reason.

Then, once the approval is completed, pickup (via Powershell) the computer name from the "reason".  (The reason should be available as the contents of a Control "OperationReason" in the approved-group-membership-add $Request object - i.e. $Request.GetInControl("OperationReason")).

'Hope this makes sense.

Another (simpler?) approach would be to create in the Web UI, an Object Property setting command (and associated new Form) where you would display virtual attributes for the Group Name (DN Syntax so you get an object picker for selecting the group) and a string for the computer name.  The Computer name would only get used if the group membership add is approved.  Instead of having to acquire the computer name from the OperationReason, in this case you have ready access to it in the virtual attribute.

A third variation would be similar to what I suggested above but instead of creating a new command and form, just add the virtual attributes to the General user properties in the Web UI and then use a change workflow to respond to them being set.

Children