Populating a field on the Web UI using a script.

I am trying to set up a field on the Web UI to be populated when a computer object is viewed using a script.  For example: Users look at the properties of a AD computer -> script is executed, and the result is shown in a read only field.

Thanks!

Parents Reply Children
  • Thanks for the reply.  I am getting a page not found when I try and view the KB.

• Maybe I can give you more context on what i am trying to do.  I am working on a script to try and get the Windows LAPS password from AD.  Since the attribute is encrypted, I have to run powershell to get the value I am looking for.  This is my first script for ARS so no idea if I am even close to being correct.

$machineName = $this

function LAPSPassword($Request)
    {
    $customValue = Get-LapsADPassword -Identity "$machineName" -AsPlainText | Select-Object Password
    $machineName.VirtualAttributes["edsvaLAPS"] = $customValue
    }

• function onGetEffectivePolicy($Request){

if($Request.Class -eq "user"){
    $customValue = Get-LapsADPassword -Identity "$machineName" -AsPlainText | Select-Object Password

$strAttrname = "edsvaLAPS"
    $Request.SetEffectivePolicyInfo($strAttrname, $Constants.EDS_EPI_UI_GENERATED_VALUE, $customValue)
    $Request.SetEffectivePolicyInfo($strAttrname, $Constants.EDS_EPI_UI_AUTO_GENERATED, $strAttrname)

}#end request class

}#end on get effective policy

something like that

Look in the SDK if you need more. You can go crazy doing different things using SetEffectivePolicy

• Thank you.  I will try this out.  For mu understanding, how does the script get the $machinename variable?

• My apologies, that is marked as an internal KB. Should have noticed this before sharing. The SDK has information, as well as scripting examples, on the use of the onPostGet handler.

• how are you calling this script? from a workflow or something? 

If the machine name is in another attribute on the page you can use $Request.Get("attributeName")

then you'd have to add a line where it's it's a RELOAD

$Request.SetEffectivePolicyInfo($strAttrname, $Constants.EDS_EPI_UI_RELOAD_EPI_BY_RULE, 'FirstattributeName)

• I was hoping to have a field on the web UI that was populated from the scripts result.  I am not 100% sure how to do this complete so just taking it one step at a time.  

• Here is the script I have so far.  I have added the virtual attribute to the web UI but still not getting any results.  I have set the Workflow to run on demand and linked it to the script below.

function onPostGet($Request){

if($Request.Class -eq "computer"){
    $machineName = $Request.Get("cn")

$strAttrname = "edsvaLAPS"

$Request.SetEffectivePolicyInfo($strAttrname, $Constants.EDS_EPI_UI_GENERATED_VALUE, $customValue)
    $Request.SetEffectivePolicyInfo($strAttrname, $Constants.EDS_EPI_UI_AUTO_GENERATED, $strAttrname)
    $Request.SetEffectivePolicyInfo($strAttrname, $Constants.EDS_EPI_UI_RELOAD_EPI_BY_RULE, $machineName)

}#end request class

}#end on get effective policy

• Try changing the event handler from onPostGet to onGetEffectivePolicy. Also, remove the RELOAD_EPI_BY_RULE line and have those three lines resemble the following. This should result in the attribute being marked read-only and having a lightning bolt button next to it. The LAPS password will then be displayed once that button is clicked.

$Request.SetEffectivePolicyInfo($strAttrName, $Constants.EDS_EPI_UI_GENERATED_VALUE, $customValue)
    $Request.SetEffectivePolicyInfo($strAttrName, $Constants.EDS_EPI_UI_AUTO_GENERATED, $true)
    $Request.SetEffectivePolicyInfo($strAttrName, $Constants.EDS_EPI_UI_SERVER_SIDE_GENERATED, $customValue)

Also, in order for this to work, the script should be added to a Provisioning Policy and not a Workflow. The Policy should then be linked to the OU where the Computer objects reside.

If you are looking for the customValue to be displayed without needing to click a button, then use the onPostGet handler as you have above and have these lines at the top of the function:

if ($Request.class -ne "computer") {return}
            if ($Request.IsAttributeRequested("edsvaLAPS") -eq $false) {return}

Then remove the three SetEffectivePolicyInfo lines and replace them with this single line:

$Request.Put($strAttrname, $customValue)

• Thank you.  That makes alot more sense.  I have made the suggested updated but now getting the error when I click on the lighting bolt:

Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: An unknown error occurred while processing the request on the server. The status code returned from the server was: 500