This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ARS user rename

Hi All,

how can i rename user object(name) in ars?

for e.g. if department equal to sales it should move to sales ou, have i configured workflow for that. but, before moving to sales ou it should search for name whether already present or not, if present then it should add 1 at the end of name else keep it as it is. 

also, while creation from QC, if two new users will get create in provisioning cycle with same name it should add 1 at the end of the name.

Can anyone help in this?

Parents
  • I would recommend that you use a PVG to force the CN (name) and the sAMAccountName to be the same.  The CN does not need to be unique but as you found out the DN does so when you move the object between OUs you can hit clashes.  If you make the CN = sAMAccountName you no longer need to worry about OU moves and having to rename them.  You are already compromising on your CN naming standard by adding numbers for uniqueness when you move the objects. 

The alternative is to use a workflow and add a script to update the CN when the object moves but I think it is bad practice to rename objects.  Even OU moves can be problematic if you have LDAP based applications as these tend to hard code the DN of the objects they use which means an OU move causes them to fail.  Script too can be written with hard coded paths but this is probably bad practice it's far better to use the NTAccountName as a search parameter. 

• I would recommend that you use a PVG to force the CN (name) and the sAMAccountName to be the same.  The CN does not need to be unique but as you found out the DN does so when you move the object between OUs you can hit clashes.  If you make the CN = sAMAccountName you no longer need to worry about OU moves and having to rename them.  You are already compromising on your CN naming standard by adding numbers for uniqueness when you move the objects. 

The alternative is to use a workflow and add a script to update the CN when the object moves but I think it is bad practice to rename objects.  Even OU moves can be problematic if you have LDAP based applications as these tend to hard code the DN of the objects they use which means an OU move causes them to fail.  Script too can be written with hard coded paths but this is probably bad practice it's far better to use the NTAccountName as a search parameter. 

Children
No Data