This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Query external DB and store results in a variable

Hi Experts,

I'm connecting to an external system table which gives me a list of manager's and their reportees (one line for manager and their reportee).

For various reasons, I need to process this table for every manager separately - after processing all reportees for each manager I need to update a specific field for that manager on the Person object which is why a simple ORDER BY won't help.

What I think I need to do is 2 steps:

1) Perform a SELECT DISTINCT on the external table to get a list of all managers

2) Run SELECT queries in a for loop iterating over the managers in the where clause 

Question is, how do I store the list of returned values from SELECT DISTINCT into a variable so that I can iterate over it? I tried SQLExecutor but that gives me an integer value to indicate success or failure. 

So, to summarize, any way to run a query and store the results in a local variable inside a script?

Thanks in advance

Kin

• Hi,

Perhaps this code snippet might help .... sorry I lost the formatting:

Public Sub CCC_DataReader_Test()
    Dim con As New SqlConnection(GetMsSqlConnectionString())
    Dim cmd As New SqlCommand("getUser", con)
    cmd.CommandType = Data.CommandType.StoredProcedure
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@accountID", "310211")
    Dim x As Integer = 0
    Try
    con.Open()
    Dim reader As SqlDataReader = cmd.ExecuteReader()
    While reader.Read()
    For x = 0 To reader.FieldCount - 1
    If Not IsDbNull(reader.getValue(x)) Then
    VID_Write2Log("C:\RPTest.log",reader.getName(x) & ": " & CStr(reader.getValue(x)))
    Else
    VID_Write2Log("C:\RPTest.log",reader.getName(x) & ": " & "null")
    End If
    Next
    'Exit While
    'count += 1
    'VID_Write2Log("C:\RPTest.log", "Count: " & count)
    End While
    Catch ex As SqlException
    Finally
    con.Close()
    End Try
    End Sub

HTH, Barry.
  • Thanks Barry, that worked. I tested it (For now) against the local connection.
    FYI - I had to use System.Data.SqlClient class to reference SqlConnection, SqlCommand etc.
  • Hi,

Yes sorry I didn't paste in these lines from the top of my test scripts file:

#If Not SCRIPTDEBUGGER Then
    Imports System.Data.SqlClient
    #End If

Glad you're all sorted.

B.
  • Quick question: Will this work if the connection string is stored as an encrypted string in the config parm?
  • If your connection string is in an encrypted config parm you will need to call the script in a job step and mark the parameter that is passing the connection string to the script as 'hidden' and 'encrypted'. The job server service will then decrypt the value as it passes it to the script.