This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can the History Database be accessed from the API?

We have a tool that uses the API to read the tables used for the time trace data. Adding the History Database... the data as expected gets moved to the History DB. Is there a way to access the history database from the API/App Server? 

-Josh

Parents
  • When you say API/App Server, do you refer to the REST API or if it is possible to access the historical data using the object layer?

• REST API. Do we have to install a second instance pointed to the History DB? Is that possible?

• I have never seen that someone has installed an application server against a History DB installation. So it would be a first one for you to try. Theoretically, you should be able to access the History DB tables then but again, I have never tried or seen that before.

For the object layer, there are methods and functions available to access and retrieve historical objects. But if you want to access the data using the REST API you would need to wrap that in calls to scripts that return a single value, potentially a JSON.

What is your use-case for using the REST API to access the historical data from the History DB?

• I have never seen that someone has installed an application server against a History DB installation. So it would be a first one for you to try. Theoretically, you should be able to access the History DB tables then but again, I have never tried or seen that before.

For the object layer, there are methods and functions available to access and retrieve historical objects. But if you want to access the data using the REST API you would need to wrap that in calls to scripts that return a single value, potentially a JSON.

What is your use-case for using the REST API to access the historical data from the History DB?

Children