Incomplete documentation - activating maintenance mode on a web application end all active sessions (despite documentation saying otherwise)

When activating maintenance mode on a web application (The IT-Shop) as described here Identity Manager 9.0 LTS - Installation Guide (oneidentity.com) we notice that when clicking the 'Start maintenance mode' button in the runtime monitor in the browser active sessions (visible on the tab sessions) are 'ended'. 

This causes those people to also get a maintenance page from that point onward. If we place the maintenance.mode file active sessions are not killed (allowing people to continue to use the tool). Shouldn't the fact that the maintenance mode button ends active sessions be more clearly reflected in the documentation? At least for myself it was a surprise that the behaviour was different based on the documentation.

p.s. This doesn't feel worth raising an SR to me, hence a community discussion post. But if this belongs somewhere else I'd be happy to be pointed in that direction.