This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Custom WorkFlow - Custom Step

Hi,

We are looking for options to incorporate a custom step in the work flow process. The custom step should connect to a database and verify the status of the person before moving on the next level approver.

We could find any options to write a custom code withing the workflow. The only options available is to choose the OOTB Approval procedure which is in turn non customizable

Any info would be of help.

Thanks

Jsmith

• Hi Jsmith,

only two parties involved here: One workflow and one process. The sequence is like workflow -> process -> workflow.

If the process executes the MakeDecision method, it decides the EX step and the workflow continues, either with its positiv or negativ successor.

HTH,

Oliver

• Hi Oliver,

I have raised a Service Request  <ADMIN NOTE: service request number removed as per privacy policy> for this on my Support Account with Dell and referred them to this link.

Would you be able to email me an example of what the 'Approval Step' properties in an approval workflow using 'EX - Approvals to be made externally' looks like?

I can see an 'Event' field and am assuming that I need to put an event name here, say for example 'Blah'.

Then which table do I trigger the process off of, based upon the event 'Blah'?  Would it be DialogDatabase or PersonWantsOrg?

I looked at the VI_ESS_PersonWantsOrg create AD group process and have the following questions:

- On the decision process nodes, do I always need to put 'sa' as the param1 name?

- The value of true or false is passed back by param2, which is fine.

- How would I potentially access the value of param3 i.e. #LD("Group successfully created.")#

on a subsequent step in my workflow?

Look forward to your feedback.

Kapil.

• Hi Kapil,

events initiated by the EX approval procedure are generated on the associated PersonWantsOrg (if IT Shop request) or AttestationCase (if attestation) objects. IMHO, the best example still is the combination of approval workflow Approval of AD group create requests and process VI_ESS_PersonWantsOrg create AD group mentioned earlier in this thread. 

The first argument of the MakeDecision method (referenced as param1 in the process step definition) needs to be the UID_Person of a valid decision maker or "sa" for "system decision". As there's usually no employee entitled to decide a request at this point (ie. level that contains the EX step), "sa" is the only option you're left with.

The third argument (decision reason) is stored alongside with the decision itself in PWODecisionHistory and might be retrieved from there.

HTH,

Oliver 

• Oliver, wenn Sie deutsch sind, dann viel danke für Ihre Hilfe damit :)
    Ich habe noch einige Fragen:

Thanks for your help.  I have one more question:

After the process returns the decision back to the workflow, how do I then in the workflow send notification emails to the requester and recipient?

I cannot seem to find a suitable Approval Procedure as part of an Approval Step from the out-of-the-box Approval Procedures available for selection that will simply send a notification email.

And I also cannot find any 'notification Email node' available to add to the workflow.

I tried selecting 'BR - Back to Requester' and 'BR - Back to Recipient', but those send the request back to IT shop for 'Approval' instead of what I want, which is simply a notification email.

Besides the above question, two more quick questions:

- Is it possible to create custom Approval procedures?

- In reference to your previous answer:  "The third argument (decision reason) is stored alongside with the decision itself in PWODecisionHistory and might be retrieved from there."

What would I need to do in the workflow to retrieve data from PWODecisionHistory?

Thanks,

Kapil.

• Hi Kapil,

immer gerne Smile

Notifications to the recipient are sent out automatically if this is configured in your workflow steps and/or approval policy (e.g. "Mail template approved/denied" setting). Please see the documentation (chapter "Notifications in the Request Process" in the IT Shop Guide) for further information. If the ootb behavior does not fulfill your requirements, you can copy and modify the standard process, add new ones to the relevant events (e.g. OrderGranted) or add EX steps to your workflow in order to generate processes that send the notifications you need.

No, it's not supported to have custom approval procedures.

The answer to your last question depends on the way you want to process this information in the subsequent steps. E.g. if an automatic decision should be based on the reason of an EX decision, you would add a workflow step with approval procedure "CD - Calculated decision" and formulate a suitable condition in its configuration (see the document mentioned above for an example of such a condition).

HTH,

Oliver

• Hi Oliver,

I am trying to implement the Approval of "AD group create request" workflow. In my case, my first level approval is recipient's manager and once the manager approves the request I am calling the process which will add the user in the Person table. But, it seems my script is not getting called once the manager approves the request. I couldn't find any error in the logs. Could you please help. Thanks