This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Dictionary Rule Not Working

I have installed Password Policy Manager on all DCs and I need to test against words we have added to the Dictionary file.  I have added the words to all DCs txt files and I am still able to use the words I have added to the files.  We are only using the Dictionary Rule and I have Checked "Enable dictionary lookup to reject passwords that contain: A complete word from the dictionary".  But like I said its not working, I have a test account I am using and it part of the correct groups I have setup on the PP server. 

What else do I need to do?  I have checked the encoding with Notepad ++ and the are set to USC-2 LE BOM and I am lost.  I am not sure if it should be this hard, maybe I am wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Wade

Parents
  • Hi Wade,

You mentioned that you are testing against words that you have added to the dictionary file. Have you tested against words that were already contained in the file before you added more?

Did you also add those words to the dictionary file on the Password Manager server?
    C:\Program Files\Dell\One Identity Password manager\ Service\Password Policy Manager\QPMDictionary.txt
    If you attempt to change password using the Self-Service site then the dictionary file on the Password Manager server is used. If you try to change on a client machine using CTRL-ALT-DELETE then the dictionary files on the Domain Controllers are used.

Try testing using CTRL-ALT-DELETE and see if the password is rejected.
    And also see if the dictionary rule is enforced if you use some of the original words in the dictionary file.

Regards,

Jim Casey
  • Hi Wade,

You mentioned that you are testing against words that you have added to the dictionary file. Have you tested against words that were already contained in the file before you added more?

Did you also add those words to the dictionary file on the Password Manager server?
    C:\Program Files\Dell\One Identity Password manager\ Service\Password Policy Manager\QPMDictionary.txt
    If you attempt to change password using the Self-Service site then the dictionary file on the Password Manager server is used. If you try to change on a client machine using CTRL-ALT-DELETE then the dictionary files on the Domain Controllers are used.

Try testing using CTRL-ALT-DELETE and see if the password is rejected.
    And also see if the dictionary rule is enforced if you use some of the original words in the dictionary file.

Regards,

Jim Casey
Children
No Data