This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

The client and server cannot communicate, because they do not possess a common algorithm

Hi All,

I am a noob with this application, forgive me for lack of knowledge on the prduct. I received notification today that one user received an email notification to reset their password in 9 days. They came into the office the next day, and they're password had expired. Looking in the logs I found the text below in the QPM.Service.Host_AD_2017-10-26.log file. Has anyone else seen this error message, or has any ideas as to why this is happening? Could this be the reason why the user got an email that stated they should reset their password?

Txt from the log file:

2017-10-26 00:00:03:107 E [1648:107] AuditingService.dll ServiceSyncTask.OnFail() >> Error occured during synchronization of index with added records from storage of product 02c5f92c-c8b7-4ac6-9cd8-9cc5d86e6c30..
Exception: Dell.EAF.Core.Storage.Sql.SqlStorageException: Failed to retrieve last record ID from storage. See inner exception for more details. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The client and server cannot communicate, because they do not possess a common algorithm.) ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The client and server cannot communicate, because they do not possess a common algorithm
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Thanks in advance for any thoughts that might resolve this!

• Hello,

This error doesn't appear to be a product-specific issue.

The "The client and server cannot communicate, because they do not possess a common algorithm" exception indicates that there is no common encryption algorithm between the machine hosting the Password Manager service and the machine hosting the SQL service.

An identical issue is noted here with IIS:

serverfault.com/.../the-client-and-server-cannot-communicate-because-they-do-not-possess-a-common-a

This indicates that you will need to dive into the wonderful world of Cipher Suites. This is Windows Server core functionality, and a little outside of where we typically play.

I suggest that you look into a free utility called Nartac IIS crypto software. It is also referenced in the above thread. You may also want to reference TechNet and perhaps engage Microsoft.