This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Dictionary.txt replication

Hi,

I'm about to install QPM and deploy Password Policy Manager on 20 odd Domain Controllers. I'm reading up the QPPM documentation where it says while deploying QPPM, the agent installer creates the dictionary.txt on Sysvol effectively replicating it to other DCs. So, I have few questions:

1) If I edit the dictionary.txt on QPM server, will that not copy the changes to the dictionary.txt stored on the domain controller and secondary QPM server?

2) Will updating the file on one DC makes sures other DCs/QPM server gets a replicated copy?

Alternatively, can I point the dictionary.txt file to a folder share instead of a location on the local server itself? That way, both QPM servers sees the changes at the same time?

• Q1) If I edit the dictionary.txt on QPM server, will that not copy the changes to the dictionary.txt stored on the domain controller and secondary QPM server?
    A1) If you edit the dictionary.txt through the PMAdmin site that will copy the changes to the DC and which will be visible through the secondary server.

Q2) Will updating the file on one DC makes sures other DCs/QPM server gets a replicated copy?
    A1) Since the file is stored in sysvol any changes will be replicated to the DC's

Q3) Alternatively, can I point the dictionary.txt file to a folder share instead of a location on the local server itself? That way, both QPM servers sees the changes at the same time?
    A2) Unfortunately the location of the dictionary file should remain under the sysvol location
  • Thanks Stephen.

So, would the order be:

1) Deploy QPM on Primary and secondary servers
    2) Deploy QPPM on Domain Controllers
    3) Make changes to Dictionary.txt using QPM Admin site?

Or can I do 3 before 2 and still expect the changes to be replicated to other DCs and QPM servers?
  • Your steps are correct.
    You will expect the changes to be replicated however I would not change the order in which you are deploying.