Discovery Job Timing

I'm curious to know exactly how the scheduling of Discovery Jobs works, and if it can be predicted when a job will run in a massive environment.

I'm working with a customer that has some 100k Assets just to give an idea of the scale. When we schedule a Discovery Job, be it Account or Asset, we're noticing that the job actually runs much later than it is scheduled. My guess is that it gets queued at the appropriate time, but there are so many jobs in front of it that it can take a few hours before it actually starts.

Is this actually how the scheduling works? The jobs get queued at the scheduled time and just run when they get to the front of the line? Or is there a better way of scheduling so that we actually know when a job will run based on its schedule?

Parents Reply Children
  • Tasks are all prioritized by time and queued up per asset by the scheduler.

so if there are any overlapping in schedules or if some schedules have a larger amount of tasks to perform then that can impact when these tasks are actually executed.

There are some improvements in the latest versions 7.0.5 and 7.5 that would be good to upgrade and compare with as well as keep schedules separated as much as possible to avoid overlapping of queued tasks.

• Hi Tawfiq,

That's what I figured, thanks.

I just looked through the 7.0.5 release notes and I'm not sure which improvements are related to Discovery. Can you point me to the line item detailing what's new for Discovery in the latest?

Thanks,

• there are some items internally fixed that sometimes do not make it into the release notes but its always best to upgrade when possible otherwise if you prefer to wait the next major LTS release 8.0 will include all changes from both 7.0.x and 7.x feature branch which is planned around the fall  \ September 2024.